Volunteers are the lifeline of our crisis line, and we could not maintain our 24-hour support without their help. Individuals who work on the crisis line provide support, information and referrals to individuals calling for assistance. Crisis line advocates assist by answering calls from their home or from the ALIVE office during peak call periods or when ALIVE Crisis Intervention Specialists are unavailable. Staff backup is available at all times for assistance.
ALIVE is always looking for ways to get its name out to the community to increase awareness of the services we provide. You can help us do that by distributing information in one or more of the following ways:
- Staff an information table at a local health fair or other community event to provide participants with resources related to domestic violence and ALIVE.
- Deliver ALIVE brochures to medical offices, community centers, or other local organizations or businesses in your area.
- Send articles or about domestic violence to ALIVE to share.
- Assist by contacting the media about upcoming events and/or entering information about upcoming events onto community calendar websites.
- Help plan and/or execute ALIVE fundraising events to maintain and expand funding for and awareness of ALIVE’s critical services.
Obtaining Orders of Protection and being involved in court hearings are often confusing and emotional times for our clients, and yet these steps are crucial if the client is to remain safe. Volunteers working with the Court Advocacy program provide support and information during court hearings or by accompanying clients to court to Obtain Orders of Protection against abusers. Court volunteers may also assist in the office by working with the Court Advocate on follow-up calls, data collection, and more.
SOCIAL AND SPECIAL SERVICES
Throughout the year, ALIVE conducts drives for in-kind donations to directly benefit our clients.
During our annual Adopt-A-Family program, which coincides with the holiday season, many businesses, civic groups, and individual families provide clothes and toys for parents and children. Every year we get many heartfelt thank you notes from families who otherwise might not have the holiday joy they so richly deserve.
The Adopt-A-Mom program in late April and early May helps us wish a warm “Happy Mother’s Day” to the women we serve who are working so hard to help improve the lives of their children.
Collection of toiletries, non-perishable foods, and other items help ensure we have the basic supplies a family might need when they enter our Nights of Safety emergency shelter program.
For more information on how you can participate in one of these programs, please check our wish list, or call ALIVE’s business office at 314.993.7080.
CELL PHONE COLLECTION
Our used cell phone collection is an ongoing project. When individuals donate used cell phones, ALIVE sends them to a company with whom we partner. This company pays ALIVE for each phone received and refurbishes the phones, if possible, or uses the parts. Any information in a phone’s memory is completely and safely removed and the phones are circulated back to domestic violence agencies like ALIVE. The agencies can then provide a cell phone to clients who might not otherwise have a safe phone to use.
If a phone is too old or damaged, the parts are recycled in an environmentally-responsible manner. It’s good for the environment, for our clients, and for ALIVE as an agency. To date, ALIVE has raised more than $60,000 from its cell phone program.
If you are interested in conducting a cell phone drive at your office, your place of worship, or with any club or group of which you’re a member, you can download our cell phone flyer here for more information.
We also need volunteers who are willing to help pick up cell phones from area businesses/organizations and/or make connections with businesses willing to serve as drop-off sites. If you are interested in supporting our cell phone program in this way, please call our business office at 314.993.7080.
ALIVE routinely needs the following items for its Nights of Safety program:
- Juice boxes
- Canned meals with pop-tops: spaghetti, ravioli, soup, noodles, stews
- Individual snacks: crackers, pudding, granola bars, individual fruit servings
- Jars of peanut butter
- Toiletries: toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, deodorant, feminine hygiene products
- Adult and children’s socks and underwear
- Gas cards
- Cab vouchers
- Bus tickets and passes
There is also a regular need for the following office and program supplies:
- Copy paper
- Postage stamps
- Printing and copying services
- Children’s books, coloring books, and crayons
At this time, ALIVE is also looking for the following items:
- Hotel or vacation home stays
- Plane tickets
- Gift baskets or other items that can be auctioned at our fundraising events
Click here for our most up-to-date, prioritized wish list. If you can help ALIVE with any of these items, or have other ideas to help, please call our business office at 314.993.7080 or e-mail us at email@example.com.