HOW TO HELP
Throughout the year, ALIVE conducts drives for in-kind donations to directly benefit our clients.
ALIVE’s Adopt-A-Family holiday drive is held each November/December. Many businesses, civic groups, and individual families provide gifts of clothing, household goods, toys, and other items parents include on a wish list for them/their children. Many heartfelt thank you notes from families who otherwise might not experience the holiday joy they so richly deserve are received each year. ALIVE forwards each to the generous donor/group “adopting” that particular family.
Seasonal Donation Drives may include:
- Easter Baskets, for which ALIVE collects baskets, plastic eggs, small toys, and other treats as a springtime surprise for children in ALIVE’s Nights of Safety or emergency shelter programs.
- Adopt-A-Mom in early May helps wish a warm “Happy Mother’s Day” to the women we serve who are working so hard to help improve the lives of their children. Candles, scented lotions/bath gels, journals, chocolates, jewelry, and more are packed in cheerful gift bags with affirming messages.
- Back-to-School Supplies are collected during August. Many of our client families leave their homes with few belongings and have very limited income. Ensuring kids have the supplies needed for a positive launch of their school year helps to boost self-esteem and support academic success.
- Trunk or Treat has been a huge hit with our kids staying in Nights of Safety shelter. Donors provide Halloween candy, plastic pumpkins, and supplies for not-so-spooky crafts. ALIVE advocates set up help kids collect treats, decorate cookies, and create their own holiday work of art.
Collection of toiletries, non-perishable foods, and other items help ensure we have the basic supplies a family might need when they enter our Nights of Safety emergency shelter program.
For more information on how you can participate in one of these programs, please check our wish list, or call ALIVE’s business office at 314.993.7080.
CELL PHONE COLLECTION
Our used cell phone collection is an ongoing project. When individuals donate used cell phones, ALIVE sends them to a company with whom we partner. This company pays ALIVE for each phone received and refurbishes the phones, if possible, or uses the parts. Any information in a phone’s memory is completely and safely removed and the phones are circulated back to domestic violence agencies like ALIVE. The agencies can then provide a cell phone to clients who might not otherwise have a safe phone to use.
If a phone is too old or damaged, the parts are recycled in an environmentally-responsible manner. It’s good for the environment, for our clients, and for ALIVE as an agency. To date, ALIVE has raised more than $60,000 from its cell phone program.
If you are interested in conducting a cell phone drive at your office, your place of worship, or with any club or group of which you’re a member, you can download our cell phone flyer here for more information.
We also need volunteers who are willing to help pick up cell phones from area businesses/organizations and/or make connections with businesses willing to serve as drop-off sites. If you are interested in supporting our cell phone program in this way, please call our business office at 314.993.7080.
Nights of Safety Needs
ALIVE is providing safe emergency shelter than ever before to domestic abuse survivors and their children. This increase in program utilization means expenses are growing accordingly. Your in-kind donation to this life-saving program allows ALIVE to reduce program expenses, freeing up revenue for enhanced services empowering more families. In-kind donation needs include:
Food- ALIVE provides meals to adults and children in Nights of Safety during their stay. Non-perishable food items such as these are always needed. Download a current list HERE.
There is also a regular need for the following office and program supplies:
- Copy paper
- Postage stamps
- Printing and copying services
- Children’s books, coloring books, and crayons
At this time, ALIVE is also looking for the following items:
- Hotel or vacation home stays
- Plane tickets
- Gift baskets or other items that can be auctioned at our fundraising events
Click here for our most up-to-date, prioritized wish list. If you can help ALIVE with any of these items, or have other ideas to help, please call our business office at 314.993.7080 or e-mail us at .
Supporters make it possible for ALIVE to empower domestic abuse survivors to build safe and hopeful futures for themselves and their children. ALIVE welcomes volunteers and offers a variety of volunteer projects. Click below to learn more!
maxbutton id=”1″ url=”https://alivestl.org/volunteer-opportunities/” text=”Volunteer today!” ]